This is the time of year when we’re all dreaming up resolutions that we hope to accomplish in the new year. I’m a goal junkie. I love creating goals and then breaking them down into manageable action steps. But I am easily derailed from these big goals. And if I’m honest, my focused planning is often glorified procrastination.
So this year, I’m adding a little something to my goals. I’ve decided to choose a Bible verse as my theme for 2017. I will focus on living out this verse. I’ll memorize it, meditate on it, and seek to apply it in my life.
1) Choose a verse
- Prayerfully consider where you need to grow spiritually. Maybe it’s trusting God more, worrying less, praying boldly, or eliminating a sin. Ask God to show you.
- Search for verses that apply to your growth area. A quick search on Google should do just fine.
- Choose the one that speaks most to you or seems the most actionable.
- This isn’t written in stone- don’t stress about picking the perfect verse. You can choose a new one whenever you want!
2) Journal about it
- Use your favorite notebook or the printable I’ve provided below to think and journal about your theme verse.
- If you choose to use the printable, make sure to select “Fit” or “Fit to Page” in your printer settings so it prints correctly.
- Consider what the verse says and why you chose it. I’ve included my answers as examples below.
- Again, don’t worry about getting this perfect! Just write or doodle or draw as it comes to you- do whatever helps you process.
- Relate the verse to your life. Paraphrase it and record what God is saying to you about it.
- Decide what this verse will look like in your life. What will you do privately and publicly to live out your theme verse?
3) Make it part of your routine
- Embed it into your day by praying it every morning.
- Write it on index cards and display them in places you’ll see it often, like your mirror or dashboard.
- Choose a regular time each day, like your commute home or brushing your teeth at night, to check in about how you’re living out your verse.
4) Reflect often
- If you only think about this verse once at the beginning of the year, it’s not going to change much in your life.
- Commit to reflecting in writing at scheduled intervals. I’m planning to reflect on the last day of every month.
- When you reflect, record your thoughts. How have you lived out the verse so far? What do you still need to change?
- Ask God to direct your next steps towards living out your theme verse.
I hope these steps will help you select a theme verse for the year and begin to apply it to your life. I’m praying that having a theme verse makes a difference in your life and mine. We’re not going to be perfect at living it out (thank God for grace!) but we can take steps to grow every day.
I’d love to hear what verse you chose and why!
P.S. Thanks to the Warriors group for influencing some of the steps above.
Have you signed up to receive notifications of new posts? It’s easy to do! Sign up below 😀